Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pascua! (Easter!)

The week and weekend of Semana Santa! Since I have been I have actually been celebrating a lot of holidays. It is always very different and interesting to me to see how other people celebrate holidays! In Lima I have seen how different Valentines Day, St. Patricks Day, Lent, my birthday!!, and now Easter! Here in Lima we had Thursday off of school because Thursday is the starting of their holy week (Semana Santa). For that reason my family and I went camping for the whole weekend. We packed up, left early thursday afternoon and went to relax! It took us 3 hours to get there when it usually only take us 1 hour because of all of the people leaving to go places! The beach was packed with tents and campers everywhere and when we arrived there was a schedule of many different events that we could attend during the day and night if we wanted! On Thursday there was bull 

 
 ----------Above are all of the tents that were starting to show up! and below is me trying to balance on the rope !! After there is a picture of a typical Peruvian Dance!! All of the music that was playing was live too!

 ---------Later all of the dancer and horse dancers came out right before the bull competition began. The horses did not walk normally but instead they pranced around and were dancing the whole time! I thought they were injured at first for how they were moving... :X
competitions. I for one LOVE watching bull riding on T.V. ill admit it so I was very excited! They had stands set up in the sand and places to stand around the arena also! They first had music with singers, typical peruvian dances with two people and then with horses! It was very pretty and I am glad that I got to see it! After started the "games". There were teams of around 13 people and what they had to do was this: 1st they had to have one "captain" who would stand on a chair while the group huddled behind them in a close circle with the girls in the middle. The bull was then let out and they got more points if they stayed in the middle while the bull charged them for 10 LONG seconds it seemed like! After they had to run out of the middle and behind this wood safety boards. They had people with the red sheets to help out if needed. After they had to have two people stand together and go towards the bull and have it run in between them while they kept their hands together. After they got done with that they had to have a couple people with long wood sticks go and   poll-volte or at-least try over the bulls. After that was done they had to use the red sheets and have the bull go under them a certain way. Lastly at the end they personally as a whole team had to put the bull back into its cart. It was INSANE to watch and they were very brave to do that because many times the teams would mess up and the bull would just attack. It was scary but so entertaining at the same time!! On friday they had a Santa Maria walk down the beach at night. A lot of people carried hand made lanterns of different things with streamers and lots of decorations. Inside of there items was a candle that they walked to a bonfire to have a celebration! On Saturday they had games, blow up water games, carnival games and more around the pool that we went too. I tried to walk on a rope and so did my family, we all failed. My parents played games to win food items and then there was another Torro Match! We went and watched again, and this time the players got injured a little bit. They were more scared so I think that is why they messed up more. After the match me and my sister went and laid on the beach to look at the stars. In Lima you cant ever see them at night so my sister told me at the beach is usually the only place you can really see them. Later that night I played ajedrez con mi. papa (chess) and then we were off to sleep. It was a long relaxing weekend and I was happy to have spent it at a beach. For Easter we came back home and went to have lunch with my grandma and cousin. We ate at my favorite place called Oceanica. Its a sushi buffet and naturally I stuffed myself with it. Going to go there before i leave back to the states. :) After lunch all of us kids bought the movie Argo and went to watch it upstairs. It was a good movie and a good way to end my Easter. Feliz Pascua !! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment